Friday, March 25, 2005

My conservatism shocks us all

So, finally joined the gym here in Ramallah - I'd just like to mention that it's like 25 times the size of our little one in Bethesda, and has a pool! I just need to find a place in Ramallah to buy goggles.

The interesting part of why it's so big is that they have a co-ed gym, and a separate one for women (sorry, guys - no separate one for you), and the first thing I thought was, "hey, great idea!" I've discovered that I quite like Islamic custom when it's voluntary (as it is here). It's definitely got its advantages, and it's quite nice to be in a place where we girls get to keep a little mystery.

In other news, happy Easter - I discovered that there's a Protestant church two blocks from our office. No word yet on what denomination it is, so I might wind up at Catholic mass (lots of options in Jerusalem, if I get motivated) after all. We shall see. More likely, I'll dye some eggs, and have that be my religious experience for the day.

Meanwhile, settling into life here quite nicely - I think I might actually be starting to have a social life! Stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home